♥ Heart to Heart ♥

Monday 5 November 2012



I wanted to share with you part of myself which I normally don't feel comfortable talking about even with my friends because I'm a pretty shy person.

I have Polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS as its commonly known as. Its something that has affected me since I was at university. There are many different symptoms of PCOS. Some lucky ones might only be affected mildly whilst others may suffer from symptoms such as irregular menstruation cycles, acne, weight gain, excess hair in the places you don't want it and hair loss in the place you do want it! I wont go into the details of the condition because I'm sure you can Google it and find much better descriptions that I could ever give. But I wanted to share with you one of the symptoms that I have experienced personally and that is severe hair loss.

When I was younger I had really thick strong shiny hair but as I got older my hair shed more and more. Over the past 5 years in particular I noticed the crown of my head thinning more. When I look at photo's of myself I can see that my hair near my parting has thinned out alot and my scalp is particularly visible. I felt so embarrassed by it and it has really affected my confidence.

Over the past few years I have made a conscious effort to take care of my hair as much as possible...
  • Washing my hair every other day or less if I can get away with it with the help of dry shampoos
  • Using mild shampoos, nothing harsh like the anti-dandruff ones
  • Reduced heat considerably, drying naturally as often as possible
  • Using the low heat setting on my hairdryer to straighten and style my hair rather than straightners
  • Always using heat protectant
  • Using a hair oil like Coconut  Oil, Amla and almond oil once a week as deep conditioner
  • No chemical hair dyes at all (until about 2 months ago)
All this has really helped the condition of my hair making it feels stronger and more nourished. I've also noticed that my hair can grow much longer too without needing a cut (around 2 inches) and I have more little hairs growing but sadly I haven't seen any significant improvements.

I have to admit I have never really used any products before which are specifically designed to stimulate hair growth because I have been reluctant to use harsh chemicals on my scalp in case it gets any worse. However I am about to start trying out a few products which have had clinically proven results for some people.

So this is my little heart to heart and my hair story so far. Over the next month or so I will feature a few products which I have been using recently to help me with my hair dilemma which I hope some people will find interesting.

Cherry Lane xoxo

20 comments:

  1. Awwww... Cherry, thanks for being so brave to share this with us. PCOS can be tough on even the strongest women, and I admire you for dealing with it so gracefully.

    I also used to suffer from thinning of hair at the crown, though I don't have PCOS. The one thing that stopped it for me is changing my diet - including a lot more protein in it. It has just been two months, but I feel like my hair fall has reduced considerably.

    Take care & lots of love!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tan! Thanks so much for your lovely comment! You are one of my favourite bloggers and I really admire your articles. Now that I think about it, I don't have a huge amount of protein in my diet as I mainly stick to veggies so I will definitely try increasing that. Thanks so much for the advice! :-)

      Delete
  2. Same pinch for PCOS :p now I don't suffer frm hair loss but acne n irregular menses is killing me just as much :(

    I hope the new products work for u n u hv better hair !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll! It's such a pain isnt it?! So many times I think to myself why me!!

      Delete
  3. *hugs* I applaud u for sharing your heart out!! ♥♥♥ I know so many can relate to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kej! Really appreciate your support and kindness xx

      Delete
  4. I just read this and I wish I was there to hug you! Thank you for sharing this with all of us. Hair or no hair, I find you very pretty no matter what. I would suggest Biotin Supplements if you haven't tried that yet. I am not a doc but it helps a lil with hair related stuff :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B, I did use Hair, skin and nails supplement for about three months a few years back but didnt notice much difference. I am tempted to give it another try. Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing this, dear. I've recently been experiencing severe hair loss (which, my doctor thinks may be related to thyroid problems) but I'm on the same quest to find something to make my hair stronger and fuller again, so I'll definitely be keeping up with your tips (and I'll share my own if I find anything)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mugda! Thanks so much for your kinda hearted message. I really hope these tips do help you and would love to hear about any tips you find! Let me know how you get on xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhh sounds like you're doing all the right things - be careful with what you eat too - oily fish is very good for strong shiny hair and philip kingsley do a vitamin type tablet for hair growth - i never took it long enough to see results but its supposed to be good.

    Oh and regular head massage stimulates growth too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I heard oily fish is good too but I'm not the biggest fan of fish but I guess I should make more of an effort in the name of beauty! lol I've heard such good things about Philip Kingslet! I'll def look into their vitamin tablets :-)

      Delete
  8. Those are such good tips for everyone! And really, I so rarely use heat on my hair and I think that's one of the easiest ways to save your hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah you're so lucky! My hair is a frizzball so I always have to do something to tame it, even if its just tying it up or braiding while its drying to smooth it out

      Delete
  9. Hugs. I have silky straight hair. A few years ago, my hair started thinning too. Tried a lot of things but nothing seems to be working. Now I have given up paying it too much attention :) Thank you for sharing your worries. The comments here made me feel I am not the only one fighting for my crowing glory :P Will keep an eye out for your tips. Hope your solutions work out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crowning glory lol!! You're so lucky to have silky straight hair...it must be so easy to manage. I hope my tips can help you a little xx

      Delete
  10. This is a brave post, I used to have thick hair, so much so that I actually wished I had less hair (sometimes its true when they say be careful what you wish for). Due to stress and hereditary factors I have had hair loss now for about 4 years and my hair is considerably thinner than it was before, I have particular loss on my crown and it makes me feel really self conscious, so I completely understand what you mean and how you feel.
    One product which has helped me conceal my hair loss is the Full More coloured spray that you spray on and it gives the appearance of a fuller hair. I buy mine online and I do not know what I would do without it, here is a link should you be interested:

    http://www.lucindaellery-hairloss.co.uk/products/products.php

    I am currently trying out Nioxin which is a hair loss treatment product and I will blog about the results.

    All the best and hugs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sweet message, its so nice to know I'm not the only one suffering from this. The Full More spray looks really good. I use Nanogen Fibres to conceal. Looking forward to talking about this with you properly when we meet xx

      Delete
  11. To find the best products to achieve the hair you want go to hair-caretips.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed reading The Swarm. It kept me engrossed from start to finish with only one or two slow bits that I still found interesting. The characters are very well written so you can get into their heads. I thought there was plenty of action interspersed throughout the story, but the non-action was just as good. Excellent explanation of the problem at hand and how it was discovered etc.



    No Addiction | Aire Bra | Sandhi Sudha | Fair Look | Body Buildo Powder |
    Slim Pro | Step Up Height | Hair Building Fiber | Sandhi Sudha Plus

    ReplyDelete